The $1.25 Billion Question

By Thomas Byrnes
6

Summary: Semafor reported on March 26 that the State Department has transferred $1.25 billion in foreign aid to President Trump's Board of Peace, pulling $1 billion from international disaster assistance and the rest from peacekeeping and international organisations. The reporting is single-source and unconfirmed. If accurate, the same government that imposed maximum accountability conditions on humanitarian funding through the OCHA deal has redirected a comparable sum to a body with no oversight mechanisms at all.

I've spent the past year documenting the collapse of the US humanitarian funding architecture. On March 26, Eleanor Mueller at Semafor, a Washington and New York-based digital news publication launched in 2022 by the former editor-in-chief of BuzzFeed News and the former CEO of Bloomberg Media, published something that connects directly to all of it.

What Semafor Reported

According to a person familiar with the funding, the State Department has transferred $1.25 billion to the Board of Peace. The breakdown: $1 billion from international disaster assistance, $200 million from peacekeeping operations, $50 million from international organisations and programmes.

I want to be straightforward about the sourcing. This is a single anonymous source. Every other outlet covering the story is citing the same Semafor report. The State Department's response was five words: "We have nothing to announce at this time." The White House didn't respond at all. That's not confirmation. But it's not a denial either.

There's a second data point that suggests the transfer is real. Senator Catherine Cortez Masto has introduced a bill to claw back $1 billion of the reported transfer and redirect it to domestic energy assistance for low-income households. Semafor published the bill text. Senators don't draft legislation to reverse transfers that haven't happened.

I'm treating this as credible but unconfirmed. What I can do is show you what it means if it's accurate.

Two Standards

In December, the US signed the OCHA MOU committing $2 billion to humanitarian pooled funds. I documented the conditions in "Adapt, Shrink, or Die." Quarterly reviews. Political alignment with American interests. A 17-country list the US selected. Three of the world's worst crises excluded. Agencies told to adapt or die.

Now compare that to the Board of Peace. The Carnegie Endowment published a detailed analysis earlier this month. No oversight or auditing mechanisms. No rules on conflicts of interest. Trump holds final authority over the budget. He's chairman for life. He has sole authority to invite countries, create or dissolve subsidiary bodies, and approve all administrative directives. He hasn't even published the board's own resolutions, despite the board having passed a resolution on "financial integrity and transparency."

Ambassador Waltz told the House Appropriations Committee on March 20 that the US is pooling humanitarian funding through OCHA to eliminate duplication and improve accountability. In a separate interview, he described the Board of Peace as having a World Bank-managed funding mechanism for reconstruction. The question isn't whether the system needed reform. It's whether redirecting $1.25 billion from a congressionally funded, conditions-laden humanitarian account to a body with no published oversight rules constitutes reform, or something else.

$2 billion with maximum conditions. $1.25 billion, if the reporting holds, with no conditions at all. Same government. Same fiscal year.

Where the Money Isn't Going

No US funds have reached Gaza through the Board of Peace. The World Bank's reconstruction fund is set up but the Carnegie Endowment notes that once funds transfer to the Board, it can spend them at will with no external accountability. The transitional committee the Board was supposed to supervise is based in Egypt and, as of the UK House of Commons Library's latest briefing, has not entered Gaza. The international stabilisation force hasn't been formed. Around 77% of Gaza's population faces acute food insecurity, according to the most recent IPC assessment.

The $1 billion reportedly came from the international disaster assistance account, which Congress funded at around $5.4 billion in the FY2026 compromise bill, passed with a bipartisan vote of 341-79. If $1 billion has been redirected, that's roughly 18% of the account. Not a rounding error.

The $200 million from peacekeeping comes from an account Congress funded at $1.23 billion. The administration's own budget request included zero for peacekeeping. Six of eleven UN peacekeeping missions are in Africa. The Secretary-General had already asked missions to cut 15% and repatriate 25% of troops.

What I'm Watching

The $2 billion OCHA pledge. Ronny Patz flagged it within hours of the announcement: "It's more show than substance until the funding has actually been disbursed." Three months later, I still can't find public confirmation that the full amount has flowed. If you have visibility into disbursement status, I want to hear from you.

The congressional response. If the administration is redirecting congressionally appropriated humanitarian funds to a body Congress never authorised, that's a constitutional question, not just a policy one. Watch whether the Cortez Masto bill gets co-sponsors.

The obligation rate. The Center for Global Development flagged that new obligations under the international disaster assistance account since the January 2025 funding pause total just $2.8 million. Even the money Congress appropriates may not get out the door.

The Bigger Picture

US humanitarian funding has fallen from $14.1 billion in 2024 to around $3 billion in 2025, to a $2 billion pledge in 2026 that may or may not have been disbursed. The system is at around 26% coverage as of the latest OCHA reporting. Agencies are running on 2015 budgets while responding to twice the displacement.

And this is happening in the middle of the worst energy crisis since the 1970s oil shock. The Strait of Hormuz is effectively closed. The secondary economic impacts, on food prices, fertiliser supply, and humanitarian logistics costs, are already materialising across East Africa, South Asia, and the Middle East. I'll have more on the transmission mechanics soon.

The humanitarian system is being defunded. The money that remains is being concentrated in channels the US controls directly. And now, potentially, redirected to a body with no accountability structure at all.

If you're managing programmes funded through US humanitarian accounts and you're seeing reduced allocations or delayed disbursements, share what you're seeing. The data matters.

This analysis builds on my previous pieces: "Adapt, Shrink, or Die" (December 2025), "The Fine Print" (January 2026), "Grandi's Final Briefing" (November 2025), and "What If the Strait Stays Closed?" (March 2026). The data dashboard is at data.marketimpact.org .

#HumanitarianAid #BoardOfPeace #USForeignPolicy #HumanitarianFunding #OCHA #Gaza #FundingCrisis

Enjoyed this article?

This post is from Tom's Aid&Dev Dispatches — a weekly newsletter with insights on humanitarian & development trends. Join 7,900+ subscribers.

Subscribe on LinkedIn

About the Author

Thomas Byrnes is a Humanitarian & Digital Social Protection Expert and CEO of MarketImpact.